Notes from the Student Caring Podcast for Professors
Syllabus – Part Three
Open syllabus syllabus quiz
- Daniel gives the “Open Syllabus Syllabus Quiz” A.K.A.: OSSQ to his class to encourage them to think about why they are there and what the learning process will be.
Sequence of assignments.
- A chronological listing of each assignment, what the topic will be, and how it will be assessed.
- Without a list of what the assignments are, there will be anxiety and confusion, both for the students and the professor.
- Often, our students do not know what grades they have received and how they are doing in your class.
- A syllabus needs to list what the assignments are and how they are weighted on day one.
- We want our students to manage their own grades.
Late assignment policies
- If students don’t know what your policies are regarding late work this will create many, many questions.
- Spell out your policy: Assignments are not accepted late. Assignments may be turned in before the deadline.
- A student may assume that your policies are just like those in another class.
Please join us next week for section number four in the syllabus series.
We welcome your comments, feedback and guest post submissions.
Daniel & David
SC 154 No. 3 What Your Students Probably Don’t Know