Notes from the Student Caring Podcast for Professors
Helping our students who are in the arts.
- A concern… Sometimes students in the arts are not as concerned about straight academic work.
- They may not see how their other classes can help them in life.
- Students in the arts sometimes have complicated schedules.
- Students will have periods of time, usually just before a performance, when they are 100% not focused on your class.
- We can help them by being predicable with our course schedules.
- If our students can let us know when they are performing, it will give us an an insight as to what they are experiencing during a particular week.
- Arts students have a great deal of stress about graduating.
- Arts students have transferable skills:
- They can speak in front of an audience without passing out!
- They can collaborate.
- They can meet deadlines.
- They have people and communication skills.
- We can help these students by showing them how the subject that we are teaching can help them in the arts.
- Skills in the arts do not always lead to a career in the arts.
We welcome your comments, feedback and guest post submissions.
Daniel & David
SC 171 Teaching Students in the Arts