Notes from the Student Caring Podcast for Professors
How to help our students adjust to a new professor.
Your arrival at a new university might be very difficult for continuing students.
Student: “What do you mean professor Jones is gone?” “Who is this new professor anyways? I’m doomed, doomed I say, doomed.”
Moreover, we are the new professor at the beginning of every semester.
Our students are usually experiencing other new professors at the same time.
How we can help:
- Acknowledge that they are experiencing a change and that can be difficult them.
- Communicate up front with your students about your teaching style.
- Install confidence in your students about the change of professors.
- Our students learn subjects from us as the unique persons that we are.
- Don’t judge yourself by how much the students miss the previous professor.
- Recognize that our students will compare us to the previous professor.
Your purpose as a professor is not to be liked, it’s to connect with
those students who your naturally going to connect with
and also to connect with those students
who really need your help.
We welcome your comments, feedback and guest post submissions.
Daniel & David
SC #173 Helping Students Adjust to the New Prof. – You!