We are pleased to present this series of 6 blog posts and podcasts to help college graduates make the transition from college to career.
I put away childish things.
- Your online image has become something that is now part of the public record.
- It used to be that your first contact was the interview, not so any more, this is your first contact. You only get one chance to make a first impression, make it count.
- Prospective employers will search for you when you apply for a job. What does your online image say about you?
- Employers are now asking applicants to give them access to your social networks. There are looking for anything that does not align with their companies image and values.
- Make sure that what you have online is the image that you want to project.
7 TIPS to Help You with Your Online Image.
1. Search the Internet with your full name to discover what appears.
- You may be surprised at what you find.
- You’ll want to search in text, images, videos and news.
- You cannot assume that your name is unique.
- ACTION STEP: Purchase a unique URL that is specific to you.
2. Clean up your social networks.
- All information on your social networks should align with the values of the places you are applying to for work.
- It is a mistake to think that your social networks are private worlds, they are not.
- Things that you say that you think are private, are not.
- Would you be proud or comfortable to show your Grandmother all of your online content?
- What does your profile reveal about you?
- What story are your photographs telling about you?
- Is your spelling and grammar correct?
- Who are you friends with and are you 100% proud of every post, image, and video that you are mentioned / linked to or appear in?
Daniel: “We realize that this is a bit of work, this is an important project and something that will require some time.”
3. Join professional networks.
- An excellent one that we recommend is LinkedIn. (It’ free!)
- In LinkedIn, join a group in the field that you are interested in.
- Offer to write a guest post as an opportunity get your name out there.
4. Search the Internet for websites that are in your field of interest.
- Offer to write a guest post for these sites.
- Create unique searchable high quality content.
- Create a YouTube video to demonstrate your knowledge in your field.
5. Go back into all of your “cleaned up social networks and populate them with excellent information about your field of interest. Only the best posts, photographs, and videos should appear there.
- Create a YouTube video to demonstrate your knowledge in your field of interest.
6. Create a “Google Alert” on your name. (LINK)
- When you do this, every time your name appears out there, you will get an email.
7. Never say or put online a negative comment about a person or an organization again.
- This is a big deal.
- This is not the place for you to ‘vent’, in fact this is a place where people are going to take your comments pretty seriously as a job candidate.
- If you want to socialize with people, do it in person.
- This will not only prevent you from getting a job, it will get you fired from a job.
~ Next in this series ~
“Your Calling Card / Creating the Perfect Cover Letter and Resume.”
Please share your opinions on this Post / Podcast: SC 78 #3 College to Career – Your Online Image – the world is reading & listening (in over 100 countries) …
We need your feedback so we may continue to fulfill our mission statement and help students, the world over.
Daniel & David