A Series for those preparing to teach in Higher Ed for the first time.
We did not receive much good advice about how to prepare to teach when we began our careers. In this podcast series we offer advice for our future colleagues who are about to begin their teaching careers in Higher Ed.
Your New Colleagues/ Notes from Podcast #127
Who is your boss?
- This can be very confusing in Higher Ed because we report to many people.
- Most likely, your department chair is your boss, even though that person may be different from year to year..
Your department chair
- They will give you your class assignments.
- They will receive your teaching evaluations before you do.
- These hard working people work vey hard! Their job is typically, year round.
Understanding your department chairs
- Discover what their expectations are for you.
- You may not have much contact with this person.
- TIP: Check with this person before you take on additional responsibilities.
TIP: Investigate the tenure process and introduce yourself to persons who are in charge of this area.
Next in this series: Podcast #128. Life Outside Work
We welcome your feedback to our work.
Daniel & David
This Noble Profession / Your New Boss